Monday, February 9, 2009

7 Reasons I am Happy to be a Mom to a CHD Kiddo

Many would say that there is NOTHING good about having a child with a heart defect, and in most ways, I agree...however, there are at least 7 reasons that I am happy that I have been chosen to be one.

1) I have Micah, here in my life. He survived and will continue to survive.

2) I have met some incredible families who have been through so much and continue to fight and conquer. I have made friends with women that I have never met, yet I feel I know better than some that I have known in person for years and years.

3) I have learned a ton about the heart, medications, feedings and so much else in the medical field that I have an honorary medical degree :)

4) I have found a new sense of faith. I am not highly religious, but I feel a presence of strength that was not there for me before Micah.

5) I have met some of the most incredible doctors and medical professionals in the world and I know that they are taking extraordinary care of my little guy.

6)I get to help others. That is my goal in life. This is what I have studied in my professional life to do and this is what I get to do with a whole new realm of understanding. I get to work with the heart support group and help other families who are going down this road and it feels good to show them a strong little boy who is doing well...even after all the hurdles he has had to jump.

7) I understand what it is like to others going down this road. It is not something that everyone gets an opportunity to do...nor do I ever want or wish for anyone to understand at this level. But I understand what it feels like to worry (within good reason) that your child will not get the opportunity to grow up and do all the things that others can do, or even wake up in the morning. I understand the fear that a parent feels when they are having their child wheeled away for a surgery that they may not come out of, and I understand that we worry more than parents of "healthy" kids do. I know this, because I have been blessed to have both kinds of kids in my life.

No comments: